National Poison Prevention Week

National Poison Prevention Week

Poison4

While most of the time it is not something dangerous, unfortunately, there are numerous toxins and poisons in and around most homes that pets can get into.  March 20-26, 2016 has been proclaimed as National Poison Prevention Week which aims to spread awareness of harmful contaminates that can affect both humans and their four-legged family members.  Here are some tips to poison-proof your home and prevent accidental ingestion:

Begin by checking any plants or cut flowers in the home or garden. Many plants, including lilies, azaleas, daffodils, lily of the valley and others are toxic.  Depending on the plant, just one or two nibbles can be fatal!  Home fragrances, such as liquid potpourri, can burn your pet’s skin and be toxic if your pet decides to give it a taste.  Spray aerosols or any heavily fragranced products should not be sprayed around birds, as they are especially sensitive to airborne chemicals.  Ashtrays, cigarettes, nicotine chewing gum or patches should be kept out of reach–even one cigarette butt contains enough nicotine to poison a pet.  Batteries should also be kept out of reach of pet’s paws, as they can cause chemical burns.

The kitchen can pose many dangers to pets.  Human foods that are toxic to pets include raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, unbaked yeast bread dough, fatty foods, salty foods, and chocolate.  Other toxic kitchen hazards are caffeine, alcohol, table salt and xylitol.  Garbage cans should have a tight top lid so that curious pets do not go digging through the garbage, which can contain any of the above toxins, coffee grounds, moldy foods, bones, or many other hazards.

Pet parents must also keep over-the-counter or prescription pills, inhalers and dietary supplements away from their pets.  Instead, place these items in a medicine cabinet or cupboard.  Pets can easily get onto countertops or tables and even chew through plastic bags to get to the medications.  On the topic of medicines, never give any medicine to a pet without first checking with a vet to make sure it’s okay, as many medicines that are safe for humans are not safe for our pets (e.g., both acetaminophen and ibuprofen are extremely poisonous to pets); and getting dosage instructions specific to the pet.  Also, pet parents may not be aware that flea and tick products meant for dogs should not be used on cats, as they may cause tremors and seizures.

In the bathroom, keep pets away from potential hazards such as cleaning products, toiletries, dental floss, etc., and make sure to always close the toilet seat to keep them from drinking the water, especially if the toilet seat is automatic.  In other parts of the home and garage, we find many other threats to our pets, such as rodenticides and antifreeze.  Many pet owners don’t realize that rodents may actually track or otherwise transfer the toxins to a location accessible to the pet.  There is also a real possibility of a poisoned mouse dropping dead in an accessible location, and being eaten by a pet.  This would almost certainly result in death of the pet.  Antifreeze tastes sweet to pets and should be placed in an area out of sight or out of reach.  Consulting a vet on the best pest-control products to use would help to avoid this problem.  Instructions on insecticides and similar products should be read thoroughly for warnings.  Glue, many are surprised to learn, can also be poisonous to pets, and certain glues, such as Gorilla Glue, can expand to the size of a basketball when ingested!

While we may not be able to keep our pets from getting into everything, educating ourselves to learn how to best protect our pets is the best defense. If you believe your pet has eaten something harmful, don’t wait! Contact us at (858) 451-1700 or the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680.

By: Yasuko Stephens, DVM

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

New Client Special






* Name:

* Email:

* Phone:

captcha

Testimonials

Dr. Stevens was not in and the Doctor that took care of Bambi was wonderful. He was so gentle with her and took the time to explain all that he found in his examination. He was only substituting for Dr. Stevens but I would like to thank him for his help. She is doing just fine now. Off hand I don't remember his name but he was a young man, wore glasses and had a French accent.

mariad, San Diego

5.0
2014-03-25T20:06:55+00:00

mariad, San Diego

Dr. Stevens was not in and the Doctor that took care of Bambi was wonderful. He was so gentle with her and took the time to explain all that he found in his examination. He was only substituting for Dr. Stevens but I would like to thank him for his help. She is doing just fine now. Off hand I don't remember his name but he was a young man, wore glasses and had a French accent.

The service was considerate of my pets and my experience as well. Jessica explained the services that would help keep my pets in good health, she helped me set up maintenance appointments.

elizabethsSan Diego

5.0
2014-04-11T20:08:49+00:00

elizabethsSan Diego

The service was considerate of my pets and my experience as well. Jessica explained the services that would help keep my pets in good health, she helped me set up maintenance appointments.

I loved the people who worked there they treated Rowdy with love and understanding. Thank you.

amandajSan Diego

4.0
2014-04-29T20:18:30+00:00

amandajSan Diego

I loved the people who worked there they treated Rowdy with love and understanding. Thank you.

I like the helpful information on the site, it is helpful.

mariylnb, San Diego

5.0
2014-05-20T20:19:21+00:00

mariylnb, San Diego

I like the helpful information on the site, it is helpful.

Toby displayed a shaking of the head for some time. Only in our wellness visit did I learn that the growth of the hair in his ears lead to an undisclosed ear infection. Thanks to the doctor's vigilance did I learn of the problem. Thanks Dr. Stevens.

joycef, San Diego

5.0
2014-05-07T20:19:49+00:00

joycef, San Diego

Toby displayed a shaking of the head for some time. Only in our wellness visit did I learn that the growth of the hair in his ears lead to an undisclosed ear infection. Thanks to the doctor's vigilance did I learn of the problem. Thanks Dr. Stevens.

4.0
5