National Poison Prevention Week

National Poison Prevention Week

While most of the time it is not something dangerous, unfortunately, there are numerous toxins and poisons in and around most homes that pets can get into.  March 20-26, 2016 has been proclaimed as National Poison Prevention Week which aims to spread awareness of harmful contaminates that can affect both humans and their four-legged family members.  Here are some tips to poison-proof your home and prevent accidental ingestion: Begin by checking any plants or cut flowers in the home or garden. Many plants, including lilies, azaleas, daffodils, lily of the valley and others are toxic.  Depending on the plant, just one or two nibbles can be fatal!  Home fragrances, such as liquid potpourri, can burn your pet’s skin and be toxic if your pet decides to give it a taste.  Spray aerosols or any heavily fragranced products should not be sprayed around birds, as they are especially sensitive to airborne chemicals.  Ashtrays, cigarettes, nicotine chewing gum or patches should be kept out of reach–even one cigarette butt contains enough nicotine to poison a pet.  Batteries should also be kept out of reach of pet’s paws, as they can cause chemical burns. The kitchen can pose many dangers to pets.  Human foods that are toxic to pets include raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, unbaked yeast bread dough, fatty foods, salty foods, and chocolate.  Other toxic kitchen hazards are caffeine, alcohol, table salt and xylitol.  Garbage cans should have a tight top lid so that curious pets do not go digging through the garbage, which can contain any of the above toxins, coffee grounds, moldy foods, bones, or many other...